DalTech  Halifax, Nova Scotia
DalTech is a constituent college of Dalhousie University, dedicated to professional education and research in the fields of architecture, computer science and engineering.
Founded in 1907 as the Nova Scotia Technical College (informally referred to as "Tech"), its mandate was to carry out research and offer degree programs in engineering with the co-operation of universities and colleges in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick and to accept students with previous studies at the university level.
The college was established in a building on Spring Garden Road that is now occupied by the Faculty of Architecture. The original faculty complement of six taught courses in civil, electrical, mechanical, metallurgical and mining engineering. The first degrees were conferred in 1910 on nine students. Over the years, new departments of agricultural, chemical, food science and industrial engineering were added. In 1961, a School of Architecture was established. In 1980, Tech changed its name to the Technical University of Nova Scotia, commonly referred to as TUNS.
Today, degrees in architecture, environmental design and urban and rural planning are offered through the Faculty of Architecture. More recently, a School of Computer Science was established. Since amalgamating with Dalhousie University on April 1, 1997, the school has become a faculty in its own right, joining with the computer science division of Dalhousie. A co-operative degree is offered by the Faculty of Architecture, Faculty of Computer Science and all engineering departments at the undergraduate level.
DalTech's commitment to graduate studies and research is worthy of special note. In the 1950s, graduate studies programs were developed, first at the Master's level, and then at the PhD level.
To encourage research activities, DalTech supports, or is associated with, several research institutes and centres: Atlantic Industrial Research Institute (AIRI); Canadian Institute of Fisheries Technology (CIFT); Centre for Marine Vessel Design and Research (CMVDR); Centre for Water Resources Studies (CWRS); Minerals Engineering Centre (MEC); Nova Scotia CAD/CAM Centre; and the Vehicle Safety Research Team (VSRT).
In addition, an active program in international development is pursued and there is a significant commitment to continuing education.
From a single building, DalTech has grown to become a complex of buildings on what is now called Sexton Campus, bordered by Spring Garden Road, Barrington Street, Queen Street and Morris Street. The facilities include a gymnasium and an alumni/student lounge, built with funds raised by alumni, foundations and corporations. Recently, additional nearby space has been leased to accommodate university programs.
With impressive academic and research standing on an international level, faculty and students are attracted to DalTech from local and national regions, as well as from numerous other countries in the world. DalTech graduates can be found around the globe and the university is justifiably proud of the accomplishments of its alumni, many of whom have reached the highest positions in their profession.