New Brunswick's Provincial Flag
The provincial flag was adopted by proclamation on February 24, 1965. It was based on the provincial Coat of Arms. The ship refers to the Maritime location of the province, as well as its former important shipbuilding industry. A ship in full sail was seen on the Great Seal of the symbols of the Royal House of Brunswick and is also found in the arms of Great Britain and of the old Duchy in Normandy. The legal authority for the flag is derived from Queen Victoria's Royal Warrant in 1868.