The Faculty of Arts and Science is the largest Faculty at Queen's University with 26 departments and over 8,500 undergraduate students. The Faculty Offices are located in Mackintosh-Corry Hall.
Mackintosh-Corry Hall is the largest building on campus. Named for Principals William Macintosh (1951 - 1961) and James Alexander Corry (1961 - 1968), "Mac-Corry" was completed in 1973.
A series of interconnecting buildings and units, Macintosh Corry Hall is the location of the Arts and Science Faculty office, the Department of Part-Time Studies, the offices of the Departments of Geography, Political Studies, Sociology, and Women's Studies. Mackintosh Corry Hall also features several classrooms, a cafeteria, 24-hour reading room, and a documents library.
The southernmost building on the east side of University Avenue is the most recognizable of all Queen's landmarks, Grant Hall. Named for Queen's Principal (1877 - 1902), George Munro Grant, Grant Hall has served the university in many capacities, including: public lectures, concerts, convocation ceremonies, dances and final exams. During the First World War it was used as a military hospital. Grant Hall is also the practice hall of the Queen s Bands.
At the corner of Stuart and George Streets, near the Kingston General Hospital is Botterell Hall. Named for Edmund Harry Botterell, neurosurgeon, Dean of Medicine (1962 - 1970), Vice Principal Health Sciences (1968 - 1971), Botterell Hall contains a comprehensive Health Sciences Library, a cafeteria, the offices of the Dean of Medicine and the Vice Principal of Health Sciences, and the Departments of Anatomy, Biochemistry, Microbiology & Immunology, Pharmacology, Physiology, and Paediatrics.
At the south east corner of Queen's Crescent and Albert Street is Queen's largest residence, Victoria Hall, which houses 782 students during the academic year. Victoria Hall is the home of three French Floors, with space for approximately 80 students in the French-in-Residence program and for 30 students on the International Floor. Originally constructed in 1965 as a woman s residence, it was transformed into a co-ed building in 1988. The Residence Business Office is located on the lower level. "Vic Hall" is named after Queen Victoria, who granted Queen's founding royal charter in 1841.
Across the street from Grant Hall is Jeffery Hall, the home of the Department of Mathematics and Statistics. The structure extends two floors below ground level, where student computer terminals are maintained in a temperature-controlled environment twenty-four hours a day. Jeffrey hall is named for Ralph L. Jeffrey, Head of Mathematics and chair of Graduate Studies (1943 - 1960). After retiring from Queen's, Dr. Jeffery returned to Nova Scotia and to his Alma Mater, Acadia University, as Proffessor of Mathematics. On his way to Wolfville in his car, an old Desoto, he met R. Arthur Green, who drove the car for him from the Digby ferry terminal to Wolfville. Arthur later took an advanced calculus course from him (getting an A+).
Immediately to the south of Jeffrey Hall is a group of geometrical sculptures entitled Five Sculptures on Topological Themes. These prominent Queen's landmarks were created in 1971 by fine art professor Alan Dickson.
John Deutsch University Centre
The JDUC consists of two buildings, joined at the centre to form a "Ceilidh" (pronounced Kay-Lee), Gaelic for central meeting place. Named in honour of former Principal John James Deutsch (1968-1974), the JDUC is the seat of the student government - the Alma Mater Society (AMS). The JDUC is the focus for cultural, social, and recreational activities on campus, and houses the offices for The Tricolour (the student yearbook), the Queen s Bands, the International Centre, and the Rector (the student ombudsperson). Other facilities include a reading lounge, a games room, a music listening lounge, a study hall, meeting rooms, a post office, bookstore, dry cleaners, hair styling salon, tuck shop, and bank machines.
Queen's Web Site